Monday, April 09, 2007

What Do You Think About This Way of Being Church?

My planned series on Marcus Borg's theology has temporarily stalled out mid-post. I'm about two-thirds of the way through writing about Borg's view of Jesus as a "Spirit Person" and how that relates to his presuppositions concerning the reality of God and the validity of religious experiences, and I've had to stop on account of an oppressive amount of school work. It (and hopefully at least one more post in the series) should be up by Friday, after I've turned in a couple of papers for my History of the Christian Experience class.

In the meantime, while waiting for my brain to recharge so that I can re-engage my course work, I ran across this from the Christian Science Monitor. Union Street Brick Church, a Congregational church in Bangor, Maine led by Rev. Leland Witting is trying to redefine what it means to be a church. Perhaps their rather unconventional approach could be a good starting point for a conversation here about what it means to be a church...

If you're interested in a semi-open conversation on the subject, check out the article and leave a comment.

No comments: