Wednesday, March 21, 2007

So it Begins...

Driving Adam home from preschool this afternoon, we passed a giant golden double arch, a symbol of (almost!) everything that's wrong with our culture.

Adam: What dat?

Daddy: I don't know, Adam. What's what?

Adam: What dat PLAYGROUND?!?

Daddy: Hmmm...

I've written before of the evils of marketing directly to children, bypassing the parental authority. I guess sticking a giant, colorful playground - clearly more fun looking than the playground in the park in front of our house - is a most devious form of direct advertising.

How does a vegetarian father beat the world's coolest playground, which happens - incidentally, I'm sure - to be attached to a giant McDonalds?!?

4 comments:

Tom said...

I have managed to not take any of my children to McDonalds for the last four years or so. I just tell them that I don't like McDonalds so we're not going.

crystal said...

I have four words for you (from a vegetarian) ... french fries, milk shakes :-)

JP said...

There you go, go get a salad and a water and let him have at that playground. For a short while I was a vegetarian and somehow, I still found myself in that place.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one...continue to try to avoid it. If there is a country left in this world that does not have a McDonalds and a WalMart, I want to go live there! [Although, if I had to choose one, I'd take McD's over WalMart in a heartbeat! At least there I can sip a cup of coffee and hear myself think :) ]